There is just something so decadent and fancy about oysters. They are not an everyday treat and at a restaurant they can get quite expensive. Oysters are actually quite affordable as an at home appetizer and not at all difficult to make… especially if you let the wonderful people at the seafood counter take care of the shucking for you! The fun part (for me) of serving oysters is making toppings that complement the oysters. For this recipe I used a Miyagi oyster with a full meat flavor and mild brininess (to me they were almost sweet!). I like the spicier topping for oysters that are less salty and sweeter toppings for the oysters that have a strong brininess. You’ll have to scroll through some amazing photos taken by the amazing Mary Boyden before you get to the recipe. Hopefully you don’t get TOO hungry.
Tabasco Shaved Ice Topped Oysters
- Oysters – Not too briny. I used Miyagi, but the seafood department may be able to help you find an oyster that they carry that will pair nicely with tabasco. I got my oysters from my local Whole Foods Market.
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Food Processor
Tops approximately 12 oysters
- Shuck Oysters (or have them shucked for you) and put on a bed of ice
- Take 1 cup of ice and put in food processor
- Shake in about 1 1/2 teaspoons of tabasco into the ice
- Squeeze 1/2 lemon juice into ice
- Put food processor on until ice is to a shaved consistency.
- Taste ice– if the ice isn’t spicy enough add more tabasco and mix by turning on the food processor
- Spoon about a teaspoon of the tabasco shaved ice onto each oyster and serve immediately.
- Check out my Classic Manhattan recipe post that came out of this styled shoot!
- Visit Suzannah’s New Year’s Eve Game Night
- Visit Kelsey’s Let’s Play New Year’s Eve Party
- Kelsey shared a bit about her NYE Style
- Suzannah shared her recipe for coconut milk panna cotta with ginger
- Learn how to shuck oysters here
Photography by Mary Boyden— Connect: Website, Facebook, Instagram
Vintage Rentals by Something Borrowed— Connect: Website, Facebook, Instagram
Cocktail Napkins from Hen House Linens— Connect: Website, Facebook, Instagram
Aqua Leather Wrap Bracelet via Flourish Leather— Connect: Website, Facebook, Instagram
Styled Shoot by Bloggers of Create-Enjoy, Ladies in Navy & A Well Crafted Party:
Connect with Suzannah of Create-Enjoy: Website, Facebook, Instagram
Connect with Kelsey of Ladies in Navy: Website, Facebook, Instagram
Connect with ME! Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Pinterest OR Click Share on the bottom of this post!