One of my favorite parts of elementary school was learning cursive. I’m actually sad to hear that a lot of schools are no longer teaching kids cursive… But, that is beside the point.
I love the way script looks and have always loved the way letters can curve into one another, fly off the sheet, or stand tall and impressive. I’ve been doodling and playing around in notebooks for as long as I can remember. I enjoy the practice of it. I love different types of pens. I love drawing cute little illustrations or sketching my friends and family. When life gets tough and I want to withdraw from everything a few hours with my sketch pad typically makes me feel better.
Lately I’ve been trying my hand at ACTUAL calligraphy. It is certainly challenging me. I’m getting closer to having a product that I really like. I plan on getting some prints created and in my Etsy shop (some digital files are currently for sale), but it will take some time.
Besides enjoying the art of hand-lettering and illustrations… I have also been really enjoying some fabulous websites and Instagram feeds that feature some beautiful hand lettering. If you enjoy the beauty of script then I’d highly suggest you run right over and visit these fabulous sites.
Sources for Beautiful Images and Tips for Hand Lettering :
- Plurabelle Caligraphy and Design– the blog is gorgeous… but, she also has videos of her working which is so great for someone who is a beginner and wants to see other techniques! As I’ve been into watercolors a lot lately, I really enjoyed the video of her creating watercolor place cards.
- I’ve talked about Lauren from A Fabulous Fete before… I just love her style! The blog is a great resource for all sorts of pretty things, but her calligraphy is the cherry on the sundae, in my opinion. Check out her printables page to get some instant hand lettered satisfaction!
- Colleen Amelia’s Instagram feed often has some of the most beautiful hand lettered signs. She is a photographer… but, I think she could put calligrapher on her resume as well.
- I discovered Papered Thought’s Instagram feed through the hand lettering hashtag. But, her blog is super cute as well. I love her lettering on her outgoing post!
- I cannot get over how gorgeous the hand letting is on the invitations that Lady Fingers Letterpress creates. I love seeing the before, during, and after images in their Instagram feed.
If you like looking a pretty hand lettered items then check out the blogs/profiles above… but, also, follow along here on A Well Crafted Party and my Instagram feed! The more I practice, the more I’ll post!