It is pretty amazing to see a representation of how big (and how small) the universe is.
It got me thinking about my universe.
I thought about the following questions:
1. Where am I in my universe? Where should I be?
2. Where is my family in my universe? Friends? Where should they be?
3. Where is my work/goals/hobbies in my universe? Where should they be?
4. When I am older, what would I like my universe to look like?
This is what I think my universe looks like at the moment:
1. Right now I’m the center of my own universe… I’ve been very self-centered lately.
What do I want? Who do I want to be? How do I feel?
Is it today’s world that makes us this way or is it just me? With all the social networking out there and things like Blogs I’m beginning to think that it is a lot easier to be ego-centric these days.
2. Part of my making things about me is the second thing I spend most of my time with these days: My computer. I’m literally on it for 10+ hours a day in some way (sometimes it is in the form of my cell phone). I’m writing, reading, social networking, image editing, designing, and more.
3. My son has become a big part of my life. I love him and want him to be a big part of my life. Although, in all honesty, I want to spend more time with him and developing him rather than sitting on my computer while he plays on the ground.
4. My friends and family. They are a big part of my life and I want them to feel special. Sometimes I put them before things that need more attention and other times I put things such as my computer in front of them.
5. Crafts and parties— Both are a big part of my life, but I often give them much more attention than they need. I certainly spend way too much money on them both.
6. My husband and our relationship. Lately I’ve been much too focused on me and what I want out of life. Maybe it’s because I feel fulfilled in that area in my life and happy. I don’t want to lose out in the area of my marriage and my husband’s happiness and dreams just because I’m content.
7. House Cleaning, Budget, Saving for future, Health, etc. These items are just sort of floating around in my universe. They sometimes are super small and insignificant and other times are like a black hole that swallow me whole.
And, this is what I would like my universe to look like:
1. I’d like to focus on making certain items in my life—such as: my relationship with my husband; my husband’s hopes and dreams; and my own desires— equal to each other. These things are going to be important for the rest of my life and in creating stronger relationships with the second most important things in my life.
2. My kids (my son and future possible children)— I really want to be a great mom. I want to be the type of mom that spends her days filling her children with knowledge in fun and exciting ways. I want to prioritize my time in such a way that I can focus on my children without losing me in the process.
3. My Family and Friends— I want to continue putting effort into my friends and family… I just want to make sure that the effort is more consistent and focused. For instance, I want to continually talk to my friends and family and not just send a card or gift on their birthdays. I want to spend more time with the people that put effort into me and my family’s life rather than spending time/effort/money connecting to people who don’t appreciate it.
4. Computer, Crafts, Parties—I need to better prioritize, cut back and become more efficient in these areas so that they don’t take over my life.
5. All those other things… I hope to make those items more equal in my life and not so consuming. I hope that someday I won’t have to live life paycheck to paycheck. I hope that I can learn to live within my means and save for the future. And, I hope that if I can’t keep my house clean I can at least afford to hire someone to do it for me! 😉
What does your universe look like?
What would you like to spend more (or less) time focusing on?
I’ve learned a lot by looking at “my universe” and I think that it is important for everyone to sit back and reflect now and again. Here is to making my universe (and hopefully, the universes of those around me) a better place.