Inspired by the party dresses I posted a while ago, the lack of money in my bank and two blogs I just discovered I decided to make my dress this year for my birthday/holidays. And, because I didn’t take photos of the process I decided to draw you some pictures of the entire crazy process.
Not feeling my best I spent my morning surfing the blogosphere and searching for affordable dresses on-line. While searching I came across “Yours Mine Ours: Sharing our Freepiled Home and Wardrobe” and “Chic Steals“— Two fantastic blogs that cover all kinds of fun ideas for re-purposing clothing. I literally spent all morning looking at these sites and getting ideas for my own dress.
So, I then took the time to measure myself and draw out some design ideas.
Notice my “Math Face” as I try to figure out how to make my measurements into a pattern.
I actually did take a picture of this part of the process. I then had to figure out what fabric to use. I looked through all my fabric and was becoming disappointed when I remembered a thin tablecloth I had made for some previous parties that I couldn’t use anymore because of the wine stain on it.
I figured I could cut around the wine stain and it would make a pretty dress.
Next, I cut the pieces out!
Then came the sewing… this party included ruffles and creating 27 hand rolled roses.
It took FOREVER! But, I really liked the end product.
I plan to not do ruffles again for awhile now… they turned out cute but sewing them on to the dress ended up really challenging my sewing ability.
Hand rolled flowers (and one really bad seam just so you know it was made by hand)