I’ve been prepping like crazy for my little guy’s second birthday party. My original idea was to just buy a ton of balls in various sizes and fill our backyard with them. The kids would have a blast!
But, as I do… I suddenly got another idea in my head that just won’t stop. Now the crafting has been put into overdrive. People have been over at my house every night this week helping to make this party idea come to life.
I’m so excited. But, I’m also kicking myself not getting the idea sooner and not STOPPING with the ideas. I know better!
Follow along on my Instagram on Saturday to see sneak peeks of the party!
I can’t even believe it… but, it almost time for us to be celebrating my son’s second birthday! It really feels like his first birthday was just a hop and a skip ago. Yet, next month my munchkin is turning two!
I’m not ready for this big day AT ALL. I seriously have been planning one party in my head for about three months and then decided to switch it up entirely two days ago. YIKES. The things I do have set in stone are the color scheme and the invitations. Just need to pop those suckers in the mail! (I received invitations free of charge from Tiny Prints to feature in my upcoming party. They are gorgeous!)
So, I’m obviously keeping it simple this year. As much as I like big crazy birthday parties… I have a two-year-old that still wakes up at night. I am not going to be able to go crazy. We’ll be having the birthday party with friends in our backyard. Our food plans are pretty simple as well— birthday cake, fruit, veggies, and popsicles (or ice cream, haven’t decided that one.)
I’ve had a thousand and one ideas for themes and fun decor ideas. But, I’ve been totally stumped on the activities. (I didn’t do so bad on his first birthday activities.) Seriously though, I can’t wrangle one two-year-old to do a structured activity. How am I supposed to wrangle several? Thankfully, I have very smart friends! I asked Twitter to give me some two-year-old party activity ideas and got this awesome response:
I then put the two-year-old party activity question up on Facebook and got some super ideas:
I’ve been working on lots of little projects for upcoming parties lately. Fun supplies like ink, paper, hot glue guns, fabric dye and more have all been involved. So, I’ll be sharing some more Working on it Wednesday posts giving sneak peeks of projects. Below are some iPhone images of a set of invitations I am working on for an Alice in Wonderland themed bachelorette party. My idea for these invitations was to create a set of paper-goods that remind the invitee of falling down the rabbit hole. Lots of little surprises along the way. I’m trying to keep a whimsical feel by using lots of pastel colors, different types of paper, and hand-lettering. I hope the invitations help guests feel intrigued and excited about the Alice in Wonderland themed party.
Today is one of those days where I have been so busy working on content for the blog that I didn’t get around to posting on the blog. But, as I usually post about what I am working on when Wednesday roles around, I thought I’d share a sneak peek into the items that have filled my to do list today!
1. Portland Bloggers’ Meet-Up— I’m not going to lie. This meet-up has kicked my butt. But, it is also going to be one of the most amazing meet-ups we’ve had yet. I’m not even kidding when I say that Portland has some of the most giving creative people. The collaborations and excitement from this event is overwhelming. I might have cried a bit in this whole process. The group has grown to be a really wonderful resource for local bloggers and businesses. I can’t wait to see what this year holds for it!
2. Real Parties— I’m prepping a post about a beautiful rainbow themed first birthday party. The photos are great! The details are wonderful. And, the birthday girl is a CUTIE.
3. Fashion— I’ve been doing the #7daysofstyle challenge with my kiddo. I tell you what… this has been so good for me. Not only have I been getting him out of his pjs, but I’ve been getting him out of the house and into the yard to take the photos. Which means that we’ve played together outside everyday this week. Today we played in the mud. It was refreshing and so important. Is it weird to say that this silly little clothing challenge has made me a better mom?
4. Real Parties—I’m also prepping another real wedding post that I cannot wait to share with you! I tell you what…. you’re going to be blown away with these photos by Katherine McClosky Photography.
5. Fashion— Last, but not least, I’m prepping a fun little “mom style” post that will include a GIVEAWAY from Cushe.
Can you believe that Valentine’s Day is just around the corner? I still feel like I am recovering from Christmas and New Year’s Eve celebrations… but, a walk through your local store and you’ll be reminded that the time of hearts, flowers, chocolate, and PINK is just around the corner. Now, I know that this day isn’t for everyone… but, I love it. I loved it when I was single. I love it now. Sure, there are things about it I’m not a huge fan of… but, I try to focus on the parts I like. You know me… any excuse for a party!
A few ladies and I are getting together in a couple weekends for a ladies’ night. We’re having a sort of cocktail party with a hot toddy bar, photo booth, valentine exchange, and good company. I wanted to steer away from a large amount of pink and ultra-romantic stuff Although, there will be some pink and of course there will be hearts. But, I have thrown a lot of parties with pink as a main color lately and I’d like to move in a different direction. So, we decided to do a Cozy Flannel Valentines’ Day theme.
I’m excited to bring flannel into the decor and to push myself to stay away from super traditional Valentines’ Day party looks. The above Pinterest board has some of the ideas for the party. I’m really loving some of the pins. The pictured supplies above give you a real feel of my ideas for the party. I’m loving all of the hand lettered party signs and have been practicing my calligraphy. Can’t wait to pull it out for this party. I also got some feathers, leather, yarn, old sweaters, and flannel to add to the cozy/natural feel of the party.
This post is a guest post from a reader, Annie Harrington, who wanted to share her story of prepping for a party for Working on it Wednesday. Annie Harrington is a small business owner, writer, and amateur photographer. In her free time she enjoys writing about ways other business owners can positively impact their brand image with unique printed material. She also dabbles in party planning and DIY projects.Working on it Wednesday is all about projects and parties in the works— Please enjoy Annie’s work in progress and feel free to share any tips and ideas in the comment section!
|Alicia’s birthday cake from last year—Carrot Cake!|
|Table from Alicia’s birthday dinner 2 years ago.|
|My Pinterest Board for A LIBRARY THEMED BIRTHDAY|