I think Gin and Tonic is the perfect summer sipper. I’ve never been a huge fan of the classic itself with just gin and tonic, but adding in a few elements that bring out the flavors of the gin and I’m THERE. My favorite thing about this drink is that it can easily be made in a batch and served at a dinner alfresco. The directions below will have a batch and single drink version of this cocktail.
Cucumbers, Citrus, & Herbs Gin and Tonic
This drink may be served over ice or straight up. I personally enjoy it over ice on a very hot day. You can mix and match the herbs that you use in this drink from what is available. I used Thyme and Basil, but you could also do some Rosemary, Mint, or Sage to complement the other flavors in this beverage.
Single Summer Sipper Gin & Tonic Cocktail Ingredients & Tools:
- 1 Shaker with ice, strainer, & muddler*
- 3-4 slices cucumber (extra for garnish)
- 1 oz simple syrup
- Juice of 1/2 lime squeezed fresh- you’ll throw the wedges in the drink before straining as well
- Juice of 1 lemon squeezed fresh- you’ll throw the half in the drink before straining as well
- 2-4 springs of fresh herbs- I used Basil and Thyme
- 1 1/4 oz Gin
- 3-4 oz of Tonic
- Glassware of choice – I chose a collins glass* with ice
Single Summer Sipper Gin & Tonic Cocktail Directions:
- Place 3-4 slices of cucumber and herbs in cocktail shaker. Squeeze lemon and add into the shaker. Squeeze lime and add into the shaker.
- Muddle the cucumber, herbs, lemon, and lime until the natural juices are released and you can smell the herbs.
- Pour in simple syrup & gin. Add ice and SHAKE.
- Strain the mixture into your glass of choice.
- Top with tonic, give it a little stir, garnish and enjoy!
Batch Summer Sipper Gin & Tonic Cocktail Ingredients & Tools:
- 1 bowl
- 1 muddler*
- Fine mesh strainer*
- 1 full cucumber sliced (slice some extra for garnish)
- 8 oz simple syrup
- Juice of 4 limes squeezed fresh- you’ll throw 2 limes in the mixture before straining as well
- Juice of 6-8 lemons squeezed fresh- you’ll throw the 2 lemons in the mixture before straining as well
- 10-12 springs of fresh herbs- I used Basil and Thyme
- 10 oz Gin
- bottles or cans of Tonic on side
- Collins glasses with ice & cucumber slices as garnish
Batch Summer Sipper Gin & Tonic Cocktail Directions:
- In a bowl place the cucumber slices, herbs, lemons, limes, lemon juice, and lime juice. Muddle well. This will take some time because there is just so much there!
- Once you smell the herbs and everything looks well muddled, add in the simple syrup and gin. Let the batch sit together for about 30 minutes to really incorporate.
- Strain the mixture into a pitcher.
- Serve along side collins glasses filled with ice and garnished with cucumber.
- To serve, pour about 3 oz of the mixture into the glass and then top with tonic water. Give it a little stir and enjoy!