These cucumber sandwiches were originally featured in my Valentine’s Spa Day Lunch post with FREE PRINTABLES! You might have also saw them on KATU’s Afternoon Live. They are both tasty and famous! 😉 Big thank you to my friend Alicia who helped me prep everything for the TV shoot and put together these beautiful sandwiches for photographs!
Valentine’s Day for me is a time to celebrate all of the people I love, not just my husband. Each year I try to come up with at least a fun valentine to share with friends, coworkers, and my children. This year I went a little further and came up with a party designed to celebrate the very busy, kind, and often stressed women in my life. I had the opportunity to share the Valentine’s Spa Day Lunch on KATU’s Afternoon Live and here on the blog.
Heart Shaped Cucumber Sandwiches
One of the tasty recipes that I put together for the party is this heart shaped cucumber sandwich. Cucumber sandwiches are known mainly as a go-to for tea parties. However, because I love the little sandwiches and feel like spa days and cucumbers go hand in hand, I thought it would make for a nice light lunch item for either a Valentine’s Day Tea Party or a Valentine’s Spa Party. I think these sandwiches would also be great for a wedding shower, bachelorette tea, baby shower, or a tea-time reception.
The recipe is pretty simple and can be adjusted to taste. If you are really stressed for time then substitute the cream cheese mixture below with a ready-made herbed cream cheese. I personally like my cucumber sandwiches on a nice white bread, but feel free to change the bread to any that you prefer. I use a heart shaped cookie cutter to cut out my hearts taking a knife to trim the edges if needed. Metal cookie cutters work best for this, but really, any cookie cutter will do.
- 1 box (8 oz) cream cheese - softened
- 1/4 cup fresh cut dill
- 1 TSP garlic powder (2 Tsp for a real kick!)
- salt & pepper to taste
- White bread
- 1 cucumber thinly sliced
- 1 medium sized heart cookie cutter (approximately 2 1/2 inches wide)
- Butter softened and easy to spread - about half a stick of butter needed
- Mix the cream cheese, dill, garlic powder, salt and pepper in a mixing bowl until completely combined.
- Spread Butter on one slice of bread
- Spread the cream cheese mixture on another slice of bread
- place thinly sliced cucumbers on cream cheese covered bread slice and top with the butter covered sliced bread.
- Use your cookie cutter to cut heart shapes from sandwich. My cookie cutter got two hearts per prepared sandwich. Note: Use a knife to clean up edges if cookie cutter doesn't make a clean edge.
- Repeat until all ingredients are gone!
Don’t forget to hop on over to the main Valentine’s Day Spa Lunch post to get your free party printables!