During this pregnancy I really have craved one thing more than anything else:
Before getting pregnant I could have gone through one jar of peanut butter about every 3-4 months. Nowadays we buy a new jar weekly.
So, when making a batch of cupcakes I thought it would be fun to make a cupcake that reminded me of a really good PB&J sandwich. And, let me say… these were the best cupcakes I’ve ever made.
Peanut Butter & Jelly Cupcakes
Cream Cheese (2 boxes) Room Temp
Smooth Peanut Butter (4 Tablespoons) Room Temp
Butter (1 stick) Room Temp
Powdered Sugar (2 Cups-make sure it is fresh!)
A little bit of milk or cream
Jelly in your favorite flavor… I went with Strawberry
Strawberries for garnish
* If you use a basic cake mix try making it a little more special by adding in some extra vanilla extract
Piping Liners & Tips
Small Cylindrical Object or possibly a spoon I used a Piping Tip
Big Bowl & Hand Mixer
(or… if you are lucky enough to have one a stand mixer works great)
1. Bake Basic White Cupcakes according to your favorite recipe.
Let cool while you make your delicious peanut butter frosting!
2. Make frosting by mixing together cream cheese, peanut butter, butter and powdered sugar. Add in milk or cream if needed to get desired consistency. This takes a LOT of mixing so be patient… it’ll be worth it. Then spoon into a piping bag fit with the tip of your choice. I used a larger star-shaped tip.
3. Take your cupcake and cylindrical object of choice and get ready to make some holes in your cupcakes. We are going to be filling these holes.
|Cupcake and a piping tip that will be used to break into the cupcake
Use cylindrical object to put a hole in the cupcake’s center. And, by hole I don’t mean go out the other side… just need a big empty space in the middle of the cupcake.
|Making the Hole
|See how perfect it came out!
I was going to use the insides of the cupcakes to make cake balls…
but, instead I ate them. They were very tasty.
4. Fill holes with the jelly you have chosen.
|The jelly can be added using a piping bag… but, I just used a spoon.
5. Pipe on peanut butter frosting and top with a strawberry for garnish!
(Or raspberry if you went with a raspberry jam…etc.)