In most of the United States it is Summer… here in Portland it is well, not.
(Not that this 36+ week pregnant woman is complaining!)
But, we did have a few nice days a while back and I got to take advantage of two of my summer favorites: Farmer’s Market Veggies & My Grill.
I thought I’d share this easy recipe that I came up with for dinner a while back. We had it as a main course meal (sans meat) on a hot summer day but, it would also be a fantastic accompaniment to a grilled main course for a dinner party or even just with some added protein if you’re craving a good steak/chicken/shrimp salad.
Simple Summer Salad
(Most of the following vegetables we found at our local farmer’s market!)
— Mixed Greens
— Vegetables of your choice! (See photo below for our choice)
White Onions, Cherry Tomatoes, Zucchini, Summer Squash, Baby Bella Mushrooms and Mini Bell Peppers
1. Rinse mixed greens and vegetables. Set greens aside and get to cutting all those veggies! Cut the veggies in bite sized portions.
2. Toss vegetables in olive oil, balsamic vinegar and seasonings until each piece is covered.
3. Grill Veggies til tender! We have an electric grill without slats so we can grill directly on the grill… but, if you have slats you will want to first put down some aluminum foil so the veggies don’t fall through the grates.
4. While veggies are grilling toss the salad greens with your favorite dressing -OR- do what we did and toss with a mixture of olive oil, balsamic vinegar and the same seasoning that we used on the veggies. I’m sorry I am not giving exact amounts… when it comes to olive oil I like to eyeball it and the hubby and I aren’t BIG dressing fans so we just like a light coating on the leaves. This whole salad would also go great with a light vinaigrette!
5. Top salad greens with finished veggies and then sprinkle with desired amount of feta cheese.
Enjoy! We served it with grilled bread… so good!
I love eating simple grilled food during the summer.