Okay, so I promised some real parties this month and here is one of my favorites! Halloween is one of my very favorite days of the year. I start planning the party a year in advance and very much enjoy the preparation and execution of the party. This past Halloween we had a “Bewitching Ball” with all the formal fabulous we could fit into our tiny apartment. So, I’ll keep from chattering about and show you the photos.
The decor was as DIY as I could possibly make it. Hundreds of bats hung from the ceiling. Tissue paper flowers decorated the mantle and wrapped around any available space. (Tutorials will be up in the next few days!) A hand designed chandelier, made by a friend, was the shining centerpiece.
The food— Well, I can never pass up the opportunity to make fun Halloween food. I found a lot of great recipes on-line (check out last Friday’s post for some great food links) and all of them were a hit.
The Signature Drinks—I made two signature drinks and had s few classic bar selections for guest to choose from at the bar. The two signature drinks were “My Kind of Magic” and “Satan’s Soda” both created by me! (look for the recipes in future posts)
The Masks—The guests made their own masks and costumes. They were all so creative and you could tell they spend a ton of time working on them.
It was a fabulously fun party and I am very happy to get to show off the photos. If you have a fabulously fun Halloween party you’d like to share please send submissions for consideration to email@example.com. Please visit our submission guideline page for submission directions.
Halloween is the perfect time of year to have some fun in the kitchen. Today’s “Friday Find” are silly, creative, and spooky dishes that can wow your guests or family this Halloween season.
- “Spicy Bat Wings“— Martha Stewart’s Halloween spin on chicken wings (made these last Halloween and LOVED them)
- “Cured Epiduris“— A creepy head-turner for the antipasto platter
- “Moldy Cheese Balls“— These delicious cheese balls will make any guest wonder about trying that cheese in the back of their fridge.
- “Adam’s Ribs“— More “heart”y party fare with a macabre twist
- “Eyeball Assortment“— An array of Italian Eyeballs to make guests wonder if someone saw them take 2
- “Rest in Peas“— Guests won’t be able to keep quiet after visiting this graveyard of toast tombstones and delightful pea dip
- “Cauldron Curry” — I can’t say it better than Martha’s website, “You can almost hear the witch chant, ‘Breast of chicken and chile’s fury — with fresh green veg make good Thai curry!'”
- “Mashed Boo-tatoes“—Give a nod to Halloween with these adorable ghost potatoes. (TIP: I made these two years ago and found that you should let the potatoes cool before piping into ghost form and then zap in the microwave for a few seconds before serving. Do not heat for too long as it will melt the form.)
- “Eye-Popping Soup“— Warm their bellies with this creepy tomato soup
- “Ghastly Ghoulash“— Halloween dinner doesn’t have to be blatantly spooky. This ghoulash would be the perfect addition to a Victorian Ghoul Dinner Party
- “Yummy Mummies“— Halloween Dinner on a Stick from BHG!
- “Brian Cupcakes“— You are what you eat!?! See if you grow smarter after a taste of “Albert Brainstien’s” brain!
- “Terrifying Tarantulas“— These eight-legged creatures mean you no harm, but will give guests a jump in alarm! (sorry for the rhyme… I just couldn’t resist!)
- “Boo-tiful Cake“— A whole family of friendly ghosts convene for slice of this tasty cake.
- “Boston Scream Pie“— Who can resist a Boston Creme Pie with this presentation?
- “Ladie’s Fingers“— A cookie treat that look’s like it’s name!
- “Poison Apples“— Keep Snow White away and save me one of these tasty dipped apples!
- “White Chocolate Ghosts“— A seriously easy Halloween treat from Martha Stewart that is great to bring to co-workers around the holiday. (I make these every year and everyone loves them!)
- “Hash Brains”— Rachael Ray’s website brings us this very fun and creepy potato side
- “Egg Eyes”— Feeling a little haggard the day after the big party? These “blood shot” eyes can mirror your own and bring you back from the living dead.
- “Buried Alive Muffins”— No time for a sit down breakfast? Prep these creepy muffins the night before and leave on the morning table for a little shock on Halloween day.
- “Spooky Side Up“— A full serving of crazy Halloween fun